Portbury Hundred Church Records
The Church Record Transcripts are taken from records held at the Somerset Record Office. This is an ongoing project that will be extended at regular intervals.
Many of the records are very faint and some entries are entered where the recorder could find a space, these therefore appear out of order.
Please advise if mistakes in the transcriptions are found.
Note: The Julian Calendar was used until 1752 when the Gregorian Calendar was adopted putting us in line with the rest of Europe. This meant the loss of eleven days between the 3rd and the 13th of September and also New Year’s day changed from the 25th of March to the 1st of January.
RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF TEXT
These transcriptions are owned by the author and are provided free for the personal use of students, scholars and the public.
The transcriptions were created by the author and are subject to international copyright laws. With the sole exception of selected, individual entries for private personal use, copying, redistribution or re-posting of these transcriptions or any part thereof is prohibited without the written consent of the author. Any commercial use or publication of text
Nautical School Portishead.
The school faces the sea on the Mariner’s Path between Clevedon and Portishead. It is one of Portishead’s most admired buildings.